Our blog has moved!
Check out our new home:
blog.patpropllc.com

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Food for Thought

As you may have noticed, food's been on my mind lately. Today, I was reading "The Delicious Revolution" by Alice Waters. First of all, she's incredibly articulate. Secondly, she's a fantastic chef and third, she constantly strives to be a great citizen and human being on this earth. I will stop gushing now.

In all of the recent talk about what's happening in our environment, the power of personal choice comes up time and time again. And for questions like, "Do I NEED an SUV?" the answer, to me, is simple. But as Ms. Waters so eloquently points out, it's astounding (and I include myself here) how often we forget those choices when it comes to what we eat. When I think of how inspiring my life, job and friends can be on any given day, it's even more unbelievable how often I sit down to a totally uninspired meal.

When I was a child, my Dad often baked bread on the weekends. It was a nearly day-long process of dough-mixing, kneading, tossing, resting, rising and finally, baking. He had an antique stainless steel pail with a giant, hand mixer that attached with clamps to a wood stool. Mixing that dough together was no easy feat. I remember him stopping to catch his breath for a moment before soldiering on. The smell of that bread baking is forever burned into my brain, and as for the memories, well, you're reading them. Such a simple choice my Dad made when you think about it. He chose to make some homemade bread. But, as Cezanne said and Ms. Waters quoted and I will too, "The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution." Just as certainly, a loaf of my Dad's bread changed my life. Now. Go eat something good.

No comments: